Tuesday, June 16, 2009

hmm...how about some pizza?

I know I post about pizza all the time, but its my favorite food! So, here's yet another pizza post for you. There is a question, though...raw basil or cooked?

This is how I reheat frozen sauce--do you guys use a similar method? Is there any foul chemical disease I can get from heating plastic freezer bags?

Our herbs are going nuts--I foresee a pesto post in our near future.

Pizza number one. Pizza Margherita, with the basil added after cooking.

Pizza number two. Pizza Margherita, with the basil added before cooking.
Which do you prefer? I did a little research, and wasn't sure which method was the preferred. I'll be honest with you--I liked the cooked basil better. Our friend preferred the raw basil, though.

We made pitas with the leftover dough. Tavo was quite pleased with the puffiness ;)

10 comments:

Christo Gonzales said...

tough call - I want to say raw basil but then the cooked might have more aroma - how about a little of both...

I freeze things like that too but I extract the frozeness from the bag and heat it up on its own -

tavolini said...

A mix would be a good idea...

I honestly like the crispiness of the cooked basil. Had a bit of crunch.

snowelf said...

I'd like the cooked basil better--and pesto sounds really yummy--I think I may pick up some tonight for my sandwiches!

--snow

Heather S-G said...

I'm w/ doggy...a little of both. That awesome baked in flavor...plus some fresh on top for that extra peppery bite! This pizza looks awesome, really. I pop my frozen stuff out of the bag, too...cuz chemicals do leach out of the plastic when you heat it up. Not sure how bad it actually is, but...

buffalodick said...

Frozen sauce in zip lock- put in bowl of hot water for 10 minutes- it will thaw. Fresh basil wetted should wilt during cooking, giving you an in-between...

Marjie said...

I go for cooked basil. The kids love pizza, and sometimes I make it, although unwillingly...hey, it's a lot of work to feed pizza to 9, 10 or 11 people! Love Tavo's pitas. He's clearly pleased with himself!

And where are those pictures of Puerto Rico? I have to see it through your eyes; I won't ever go there because the sun would kill me!

Jenn said...

Two pizzas in one post. I'm fine with that. There's nothing wrong with that. I like both raw and cooked basil. I'll just have to take a slice of each just to make sure.

Nice job on the pitas!!

Selba said...

I'm SOLD for the pizza!!! Love basil... yummy....

Anonymous said...

Hey did you not realise I moved my site to wordpress? Anyways you can add this new link to your blogroll as I am finished with the Barbadian Vegan blog. I have been craving pizza for a few days now but I do not have any vegan cheese so please do not even get me started on that. I am for cooked basil. I do not like raw anything:)

tommie said...

That pizza looks good! I like the basil cooked. My basil is ready, so I see pizza in our future.

I just cut the bag away from the frozen chuck and warm it up in a bowl on the defrost setting on the microwave.