Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Driving Range and Shrimp Etouffee

Would you believe that before yesterday, neither of us has ever been to the driving range before? Wow, what fun! A hundred balls for $10, we could borrow the clubs, and just whack the heck out of them. My shots were wayward at best, but Tavo really was getting the hang of it. (it didn't hurt that they had beer for $2 to sip while watching or playing) Here's some pics of the up and coming golf pro.
(I can't believe these photos came from my cheap camera phone...I'm impressed!)
Very fun! We'll definitely do that again.

Now, I've made Shrimp Etouffee before, altering Katherine's Crawfish Etouffee recipe from Smoky Mountain Cafe. I really, really enjoyed that recipe. I do love to experiment, though, so this time I decided to give Paula Dean's recipe a try.

Rouxing it up--I'm never using butter again, oil is so much more forgiving...
**ad lib** maybe I should stick to butter? How do you roux?

Everything but the shrimp, cooking down. Paula's recipe suggested using Ro*Tel but I stuck with regular whole tomatoes, broken up by hand.
Dinner, with our herbs from the garden. I was in the healthy mood, so we have brown rice.
Lunches!

Verdict? We both still like Katherine's recipe better. Maybe its because we cooked the veggies down first, then started the roux? Maybe it was the use of stock as opposed to clam juice? The addition of sherry? I'm not sure, but both of agreed that while Paula's recipe is good, it isn't the best.

20 comments:

Christo Gonzales said...

golf range looks like fun - we did this a couple weeks ago - it isnt easy - etouffe - tasty looking and no - alaska is on the 5th thru 12th

snowelf said...

You know, I have never been to a driving range either, but it looks like fun!!

--snow

Angel said...

cheap camera phone or not, those are some AWESOME photos!!!1

Marjie said...

Katherine does have some great recipes, doesn't she? Glad you had fun at the driving range. Sometimes it's just fun to whack things - especially when you don't have to clean up!

tavolini said...

Doggy--I couldn't hit the ball well at all--but Tavo was all about hitting the barriers in the BACK of the range

Snow--its a good time. $10 well spent!

Beth--I was shocked! Usually the pics from my phone are heavily pixelated...

Marjie--I agree with both your statements :) Anything that doesn't require cleaning is great--and I've got a few more of Katherine's recipes on my "To Cook" list :)

Anonymous said...

A golf range is so much fun although I have to admit I'm not too good :) Shrimp etouffee sounds good and it reminds me that I have crawfish in the freezer and can make crawfish etouffee tonight :)

Jenn said...

II live near a driving range and I have yet to take a trip. They best I've done was mini golf. Even my short were pretty horrible at that. haha. I've never had shrimp etoufee before, but it looks delicious!! i got to give it a try. This looks like a perfect summer dish.

The Blonde Duck said...

I love hurling the balls at the driving range. It makes me happy!

buffalodick said...

It is indeed better to hit balls, instead of being hit in the....oops! Shrimp dish looked good, but Paula D. didn't use butter? I thought she buttered Captain Crunch and everything else!

Heather S-G said...

Still looks yummy, though... and you know, I used to go to the driving range all the time when I was in high school, but haven't been back since (and I love it, so I don't know why). Thanks for the reminder :)

tommie said...

I haven't ever been to a driving range either!

I usually stick to a butter for the roux. Paula Deen does love her butter!

Selba said...

Playing golf? that's cool! ;)

The food looks yummy...

tavolini said...

Five Star--I'm pretty horrendous, but its still a good time ;)

Jenn--you should try both! Etouffee and driving range = good times :)

Blonde--It is cathartic, eh?

Buffalo--LOL!! Okay, seriously, Paula's recipe calls for you to throw a half stick of butter in at the end. LOL.

Girli--you should go hit some balls and sip some of that fine wine ;)

Selby--thanks! It was fun :)

tavolini said...

Tommie--you should definitely try out the driving range with the kids in a few years--I bet they would have fun :)

pinknest said...

great photos!! roux. roux is so mysterious to me, and perfecting it is hard!! your lunches looks lovely.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Katherine is getting quite the accolades these days! She is SO wonderful!
So is that shrimp etouffe! Oh my...looks amazing!

~~louise~~ said...

I don't think I could roux with anything else besides butter...hmmm. I too have a driving range down the block. Thanks for the spark, I may just have to hit it...

I haven't had Shrimp Etouffee in way too long. Right now, any would make me happy!

Thanks for sharing, Lini...

A Happy & Safe Independence Day to You & Yours!!!

Cynthia said...

Happy Independence!

Chef E said...

Maybe its not the best tasting but it sure looks damn good! We have never either one of us tried golf...too ADD I guess to stand their, but sometimes life makes me want to whack a ball or two towards my frustration...

Maggie said...

Love all the herbs from the garden! I've never strayed from Emeril's recipe but I think a splash of sherry has to go in to my next batch.