Tuesday, July 5, 2011

New Orleans, Degas House, and what to do with a dozen cucumbers

Just got back from the American Library Association conference in New Orleans--between meeting authors, chatting with librarians and TONS of free books, I have to say it was a blast. I also, of course, have to include some pics of the food.


The Bed and Breakfast I stayed at was very reasonably priced and had nice proprietors! I would stay here again--location is superb. I can't find a direct website, but here is a link for contact information.

Bananas!




I brought my bike and biked to the convention center, as it was a couple miles from the French Quarter. Pretty cool--riding in New Orleans is a different animal than biking in Atlanta! Much slower, more laid back, and no one except myself (and this girl I met from Chicago) wore helmets.

The final night, I stayed at the Degas House. Very beautiful, though it was a bit scary as I was the only person staying in this entire mansion. Nuts, right? I had to leave before the tour, but I did get to see the house in its entirety the previous day.




It was raining, so I had a nice makeshift dinner in my room.



Came back just in time for 4th of July weekend--our weekend looked a lot like this:

And my CSA basket was full (!!!) of cucumbers. So many cucumbers!! What is a girl to do?

Pickles, pickles, pickles...

From left to right: Sweet / sour juliennes for banh mi, dill chips for burgers, and spears for just general consumption. Yum!


One more shot of my continuing banh mi fascination -- this one has baked tofu.


Hope all of you had a great 4th!

1 comment:

Marjie said...

Your pictures are lovely. I like Degas' works very much; who knew he originated in New Orleans?

We had a nice quiet 4th. A little sun, a little reading, a lot of ice cream, and fireworks. Who could ask for more?

And then, for real entertainment, I tried to communicate with my Mexican lawn service in a language I don't speak. I'm sure they had a great laugh at my expense. But at least now they know Thor.