Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summertime fave - Tomato Summer Squash Soup with Dill

Now that we're in late June, it is officially "eat some squash every day" time of year. Hooray! I love squash :) I make this soup all the time, but this is the first time I've made it this year, so I'll post it again. I usually switch it up a bit, anyways. Here are the raw ingredients, below.

Drop the fresh tomatoes in boiling water to get rid of the skins. Not really necessary since we'll be blending it, but I hate getting pieces of tomato skin in my teeth.

Sautee a vidalia onion, garlic and all your squash. I used butter instead of oil, just for additional flavor. Here's my oregano from last week's CSA bag--a happy aside, it dried pretty perfectly in the fridge. I added quite a bit as it cooked down.

With the tomatoes, both fresh and canned.

Last but not least, add a large amount of dill. Especially if you are like me and love dill! (dill pickles, dill potatoes, now some dill in my soup...)

Put in the blender--you may want to reserve some squash "chunks" or you may want to blend it all. I like a nice, smooth soup. Better for dipping my grilled cheese ;)



That's it! Fairly boring, but quite healthy and a nice step up from plain old tomato soup. I'm off to New Orleans tomorrow for a conference--Laissez les bons temps rouler!!

2 comments:

Marjie said...

I love smooth soup, too, although I don't dip my sandwiches. I'm pretty sure that foods are supposed to be carefully segregated. I love tomato based soups; I'll have to try adding squash - if I don't saute it for a dinner side, or just cut into sticks for dunking in dressing, that is.

Dreams of cakes said...

What a delicious dish! Thanks so much for sharing!