Tuesday, June 14, 2011

One for the adventurous, a "Mess of Greens" stuffed pizza

I hadn't finished all the greens from last week's CSA, then our box this week had three mini cabbages in it! What to do with all these greens?? I thought a bit, and remembered I'd had a lot of luck with a stuffed spinach pizza...would it work as well with greens? They've got a stronger flavor than spinach, but overall I was pretty pleased with it. Maybe next time, I'll go the full Southern route and do a cornbread crust ;)

I used a different dough recipe than usual, and was extremely pleased with the results. This will give you two medium size dough balls--very pliable and easy to work with.

Pizza Dough:

3/4 cup water
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1 1/2 t. kosher salt
1 1/2 t. olive oil

The greens, I cooked fairly traditionally. I sauteed a sweet onion, then added the greens and about an inch of water with some butter, salt and crushed red pepper. I like mine fairly tender, so I cooked them down about 45 minutes. Save the pot likker! Healthy flavoring for a variety of dishes. I cooked the loose outer leaves, but saved the small inner heads of cabbage for some coleslaw.

Baked in a cast iron pot at 500 degrees for approximately 16 minutes--if your pizza is thicker, you'll need to bake longer. I added some crushed tomatoes and local goat cheese from Decimal Place Farm.


All in all, I liked it, but I don't think it will become the next craze. I think I probably will just cook down the next batch and serve it up with jalapeno corn bread instead.

Now, if I had some spinach....

No comments: