Monday, June 20, 2011

more curry and my first triathlon

Hello, my name is Joslin, and I am addicted to curry. I don't know if its the proliferation of CSA vegetables or the fact that everything tastes better as a curry, but I've been making profuse amounts of curry. This one has vidalia onion, georgia potatoes, cabbage, tomatoes and zucchini. All fresh, all local (except for the curry powder) and SOOOOO good!

You can serve over a grain of your choice, or if you're like me, eat with sourdough from the local bakery.

This Sunday, I participated in my first triathlon. I hadn't trained much, other than riding my bicycle profuse amounts, so I was extremely pleased that I finished in one hour and three seconds! Here we all are (I run and train with Team Awesome) before the swim.

Callaway Garden Sprint Triathlon: 1/4 mile swim, 10 mile bike ride, 2 mile run

...and here are some of the goofiest running shots of me, to date. I don't know why I can't just run and smile like a normal person....

Fantastic, no? This was both harder and easier than I thought it would be. The swim? Much, much harder than I thought. I'd swam on the team in high school, but had never dealt with feet in my face, hands swimming into my legs, SEAWEED, and it was such a grimy lake that goggles were pretty much useless. I switched to side stroke and prayed not to kick or be kicked by wayward swimmers.

The bike ride was awesome. I averaged just under 20 mph on a single speed on rolling hills, so I am pleased as punch. The run went better than expected, too. I maintained an 8:45 pace, even though I was passed, right at the end(!!!), by my friend Stacey, seen here in the pink shirt. Its all good, she's a speedy chick :)


Just walking around campus--this is the new Undergraduate Learning Center that will be connected to the Library. Rooftop deck and solar panels--nice!

Trees waiting to be planted.

No comments: