Thursday, January 15, 2009

yep, potato soup again!

Making up a vat of potato soup for the weekend. We're mostly going to be working on the house, so needed mass quantities of food with minimal prep time. I know I've posted this soup before, but hey--it's good! I used a different recipe this time, focusing the soup flavors with thyme and sage, then stirring in a special treat from our friend, DoggyBloggy.

Regular old ingredients for regular old potato soup...but on the far left you can see some whole foods rosemary sourdough and the cheeses for some GOOD grilled cheese.
HERE is the secret ingredient--chile! From DoggyBloggy, via New York, via New Mexico. I wish I travelled as much as this chile does ;)
Four cheese grilled sandwich on rosemary sourdough--we have cheddar, parmesan, the port salut...and yeah, I threw in some american. Don't hate!
Potato soup with attempted chile swirl...
and with the grilled cheese


Stay warm and stay safe, everyone!

18 comments:

Darius T. Williams said...

I'm not hating on the American cheese. Was it Kraft? Because I'm really with you - can you really have a great grilled cheese without it? I can't.

Jean Bouchard said...

Ohh shit I see the Budweiser American ale in the back ground, GO USA!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Oh how I love potato soup! Can it get any better than soup and grilled cheese? Have a wonderful weekend.

tavolini said...

Darius--it WAS Kraft :) Usually I'm a velveeta girl, but the slices were on sale.

Sprocket--I really, really like that beer. Its surprisingly good!

Katherine--I do too! You have a great weekend as well :)

Christo Gonzales said...

damn I am fully hating...great grilled cheese - a beer I have not tasted - and a hot steamy bowl of potato goodness - sorry but this has hate written all over it!....but wait theres more - chile swirl - now thats just taking it too far!

Chef E said...

Hey, I think the chili swirl is a piece of art...nooooo...don't eat it...let it sit our for a while and you can hang it on the wall...kidding...now except for the fact I normally do not like sandwiches...out side of my 'GO' fix in Dallas, grilled cheese and tater soup rock! I am still doing good on the diet (eating healthy)...but looking at food like this does not even phase me now...

tavolini said...

Doggy--we always take it too far!!

Chef--the sandwich is terribly unhealthy, true. But the soup is seriously pretty darn healthy. I only used a half stick of butter--and that is for 10 servings. Now, if I'd only grabbed some cream...

Anette said...

Lovely soup and splendid sanwich! And you know the sister of that chili bag, is being taken good care of in my kitchen, spicy-ing up our everyday food! Think about the long travel it made!

The Blonde Duck said...

Bread and cheese is a perfect combo!

buffalodick said...

Good lokin' meal you got there! How was the Bud ale?

Dr Zibbs said...

That looks great!

Anonymous said...

I love a grilled cheese... that would be great with a slice of tomato :-)

Cynthia said...

Okay, you make me have to go in search of food now :)

tommie said...

I think grilled cheese and soup is one of my favorite go to dinners!

Anonymous said...

Potato soup with some grilled cheese.. oh gosh i love you! Screw all that fancy sh*t, i want what you're having! :-)

pinknest said...

oh god so goooood! i think i might have to make a grilled cheese tonight....cheese.

Maggie said...

YUM! It has been eons since I had a grilled cheese sandwich.

Chef E said...

I was thinking of this the other day...when i get my package from Dog I am so making that soup! You know what why am I waiting!