Monday, August 11, 2008

Huevos Rancheros

My CSA was full of tomatoes, green onions, cilantro and peppers! Its like they were begging me to make salsa. And as we hadn't eaten breakfast yet, we threw on some beans and eggs to add to the fun.

This may not look like "traditional" heuvos rancheros--but do a quick google image search. There are thousands of images and no two seem to look alike. I know there's a lot of egg lovers out there--how do you make your huevos?


Lini's version:
Black beans, sauteed with onions, cumin, cayenne, and coriander. After they cook down for awhile, I crack the eggs right on top of the beans and cover until the eggs set. Scoop it up and place on warm corn tortillas (you can fry them) and use a liberal amount of salsa. We put some bleu cheese on top because...well, why not? Our salsa was very heavy on cilantro and jalapenos (I have 25 of them--I'm using them liberally in EVERYTHING).

16 comments:

Christo Gonzales said...

I'll tell you what the best huevos rancheros are - the ones in front of you when you sit down to eat...these look great! I make them different everytime.

Latayy said...

I want to try these without egg. You two are pepper mouths like me!

tommie said...

The first thing I thought about when you said you had lots of jalepenos was this recipe: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/07/bacon-wrapped_j/

They are really good, even without the bacon.

buffalodick said...

I love what you did, but cilantro tastes like soap... You either love that stuff or you hate it... I'm a cumin addict... and people love that stuff, or hate it!

pinknest said...

your version looks awesome!!

Christo Gonzales said...

buff: cumin IS cilantro in its 'green'form...surely you know this....buff...he's a leg puller.

lini and tavo be patient with me a bag of chile will arrive one day...

since I have to send out around 8 (whoa, so many) I am trying to get the 'right' packaging together (does that translate into stalling or what?)

buffalodick said...

DogB- Seeds, toasted and ground are way better than those leaves!

tavolini said...

Dogg and Buff!! Wait a sec, here--Coriander is ground cilantro, not cumin--they're both in the family of Apiaceae, but they're different plants (with different tastes)

Tommie--let me check that out--I'm down to 7 now...I'm thinking really, really spicy nachos.

Pink--thanks!

tavolini said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tavolini said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tavolini said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tavolini said...

Latayy--I bet they would be good with some seasoned tofu :)

Tommie--I've had those before--they call them "Rat Toes" down here--Tavo loves them.

ooooh--I'm excited about the chile! Thanks, Doggy!

Did you decide on any southern goods you need? Cheese grits? Sweet potato pie? Field peas?

Michelle Ann said...

I love Huevos Rancheros...yummy! Have you tried chilaquiles? So delicious...

This looks great!

buffalodick said...

So I'm right, he's wrong, and cilantro still tastes like soap! Yaaahhh for the Buff!

Tanya Kristine said...

for a vegetarian, huevos rancheros are a lifesaver. or should i say lifesavor! hahahaha...i'm funny.

Angel said...

ooooh....Dog has some serious competition!!! ;)