Thursday, September 15, 2011

Buttermilk Chocolate Chip Squash Bread and some bagels

More from the last CSA box--I wanted to make zucchini bread, but only had summer squash. After consulting google, I decided to go ahead with it. I grated two.


Mixed with the typical zucchini bread ingredients, subbing 3/4 c. of buttermilk for the oil. (If you haven't tried this, I highly suggest it. Very good tradeoff) Added mini chips.

Bake at 350 for an hour, though next time I should either split this into two loaf pans or perhaps cook at 325 for longer. Its cooked through, but pretty moist in the middle.


Chocolatey yum.

For the bagels, I made this dough:

1 1/4 cups water
2 1/2 cups white bread flour
3/4 cup wheat bread flour
2 tablespoons dry milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons honey
2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Then boiled it for a minute on each side


I brushed with egg white and sprinkled sesame seeds on it. Bake at 350 for 25 or so minutes. Delicious!

1 comment:

Marjie said...

I really ought to try bagels. I'd heard they have to be boiled before being baked. They must be wonderful when fresh!