Friday, November 16, 2007

forgot my camera, so here's a survey

Hello everyone--happy friday! Only one hour of work left and you know I just can't make myself do anything...but fill out a survey. This is geared towards vegans--which I was for a year or so, but have since crept back towards vegetarianism. Please don't hate!

1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
I don't like regular milk or non-dairy milk--yuck. I do LOVE cooking with coconut milk, though. mmmm curries...

2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
Probably going to make the basic beans with eggs for dinner tonight (looks gross, tastes GREAT) Tomorrow for breakfast, it's bagels and I want to make some veggie cream cheese (tastes so much better homemade) I'm also going to start some refrigerator dill pickles for sandwiches.

3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
Rarely eat popcorn--but when I do I'm a purist--just butter and salt.

4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
Ugh--the nasty gnocchis from a couple weeks ago and NEVER try baking cookies with light butter. It doesn't work.

5. Favorite pickled item?
hey--it's got to be refrigerator pickles! After that, kimchee (spicier the better) and I like giardeniera (does that count?)

6. How do you organize your recipes?
well, they mostly are hastily written down or printed out and stuck into the pages of my well established cookbooks. Once in a great while, I write them out and stick them in the massive scrapbook of Lini's eats.

7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
Used to compost--but I live inner city. Yucky rats and cockroaches...so I trash most :(

8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don't worry about how you'll cook them)?
Pizza
black beans
broccoli
(I hope I get some spices, too)

9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
Eating at the restaurant on top of the Renaissance Center in Detroit (its one of those 360 degree rotating ones)

10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
not much of an ice cream person--I prefer dark chocolate

11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
my food processor.

12. Spice/herb you would die without?
Crushed Red Pepper (salt counts as a mineral, right?)

13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
Joy of Cooking and Moosewood.

14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
Raspberry--with LOTS of seeds.

15. Favorite vegetarian recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Pizza. It's just my all around favorite.

16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
I'd have to say tofu, just on pure versatility. I love seitan, too, though.

17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
I love making breakfast--coffee, oven potatoes, fresh bread, eggs...yum

18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
Tavo's microwave. Some light bulbs. Old christmas cards.

19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
whiskey, dark chocolate, an an ancient bag of frozen mixed fruit.

20. What's on your grocery list?
too much to list--pay day today and all we have left in the house is one bag of ramen. Mostly thanksgiving type stuff--we're hosting.

21. Favorite grocery store?
Aldi's. There's also a discount store called Food Depot here with an EXCELLENT produce section. And any farmer's market.

22. Name a recipe you'd love to vegetarianize, but haven't yet.
Stroganoff would be good. Jerky. The only meat things I really liked were hot dogs and chicken nuggets--they've got decent frozen versions of those.

23. Food blog you read the most?
I read tons of food blogs--they're the best!

24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
Terra Nostra extra dark chocolate--it's almost bitter. Equal Exchange is also great.

25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
hahaha--2 of the above listed super expensive chocolate bars.

4 comments:

buffalodick said...

I respect your beliefs, but I still ate more meat this week than you probably weigh....

Christo Gonzales said...

I used to refrigerate my chocolate until I found out it messes with the tempering or something and it affects the flavor not to mention it causes that 'white' thing to happen...now its in the cupboard and its never tasted better....just sayin'

snowelf said...

I am all about the dark chocolate. I don't even think they need to make the other kind. ;)

--snow

Unknown said...

Arguably hot dogs aren't really meat to begin with...