Saturday, March 13, 2010

Homemade Mayonnaise

This is a fairly random post, because we have the before shots--but no shots of the finished product, lol. What happened is this--on Saturday morning, we had some friends over for lunch and then we all went to a class about raising chickens in your backyard. Both of the gals that went with us plan on getting chickens. Tavo wants chickens very, very badly--but I admit that I'm still on the fence.

So, lunch was to be a simple affair--sandwiches and a salad. I got sandwich meat, cheese and tomatoes at the store. Tavo got some shots of the lettuce..

Then, 15 minutes before anyone showed, I realized I had no mayo. Before reading Marjie's blog, I'd never even considered making homemade mayonnaise. Now, I ran to the computer to pull up her recipe.

Modern Day Ozzie and Harriet Mayonnaise:
(from Pierre Franey's More 60 Minute Gourmet)

1 egg yolk
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
1 cup vegetable oil

pinch salt
dash of pepper
1 tbsp water


We used a whisk--Don't do this--it takes forever!! So, if you are smart, use a food processor to beat the egg yolk. Add the Dijon and lemon juice, salt and pepper, and beat until combined. Slowly drizzle the oil in. Whisk until very well combined, then add the water and beat until smooth.






And now you'll just have to use your imaginations for the rest!! It involved homemade honey wheat bread, baby swiss, tomatoes, lettuce and for the non vegetarians--smoked turkey.

Have a great Wednesday!

5 comments:

Marjie said...

I use the electric mixer - stand or hand. It would take forever to do otherwise! I did it in the food processor once, and that worked, too, but I love my mixer! My second son griped because I make my own mayo, so I took up putting it in a Hellman's jar, and the fool doesn't know the difference.

tavolini said...

hahahahaha!! Yeah, the whisk was a poor idea. Not only did it take forever, the mayo was still a bit runny...

Next time, I'll do it the right way :) How long will this keep?

Jenn said...

Nice. Good attempt. I always wondered how to make mayo from scratch. I used to eat mayo sandwiches many years back. College food. hahaha... it was that or ramen.

Christo Gonzales said...

that looks so good - you did a great job!

~~louise~~ said...

I saw that recipe @ Marjie's but just couldn't muster up the nerve to attempt my own. Looks like you did a GREAT job. I need to reconsider.

Thanks for sharing...