Monday, February 22, 2010

All right, now that the wedding is over let's get to those leftovers!

Vegetable Biryani Tacos

So, I have absolutely refused to go grocery shopping until we eat up all the leftovers from the wedding. Here is a veggie tray that has been driving me batty. Originally, I wanted to break it up and do a few different dishes with different vegetables--but as a few days went by I decided to be lazy (or efficient?) and use it all up in one fell swoop.


Enter curry paste. I love you curry paste. I buy the jarred kind from the shop by my work--this particular one is a VERY spicy Pakistani Biryani. I sauteed the onions with the curry paste for a few minutes--then threw in a few tired potatoes, the celery, the carrots, the cauliflower and the peppers.

I decided to add a can of chickpeas and some water to cook everything down. Oh, and a few jalapenos for good measure. Our whole house smells ridiculously of curry.

Look at the tray! Pretty good, eh? I threw in the broccoli and the tomatoes right when the potatoes were almost done.

We debated on using rice, but opted for curry tacos instead. Our parsley has somehow come back to life (I didn't realize it was a perennial!) So we put some cream cheese and parsley on top. I would have preferred sour cream--but I am NOT going grocery shopping until everything we have is used up! Honestly, for a mish mash dish, this really was quite good. Of course, I like spicy vegetable dishes in general, so it really was a win win for me.
Here's my photo assistant.

Tavo opted for "breakfast dinner" notice the smiley sausage and egg face :)

In other exciting news, I chopped off and donated 16 inches of my hair to Locks of Love last week. This is my third time--I just love cutting off all that hair at the end of a cold winter. Spring--I'm ready for you!

Also, inspired by Marjie at Modern Day Ozzie and Harriet, we are planning quite a bit of gardening this year. Here is the very scientific rough draft ;)

8 comments:

Jenn said...

Nice use of leftover veggies.

Marjie said...

Oh, that beautiful hair! To be able to grow it 16" long! I would love that! How long will it take to grow back? (Yes, I know, we all want what we don't have.) Good for you finding a way to use those veggies, and hooray for your garden plans! I'm dreaming of spring, too!

Christo Gonzales said...

I need spring so badly - nice curried veggies and wow that your hair grows so long so fast...

Unknown said...

Dear Tavolini, your vegetable biryani tacos look awesome. Love how you used cream cheese at the end. The two of you sound like you have so much fun cooking and eating together, it does not matter what you are making, because food always tasted better with good company! This site was such a pleasure to visit. Well presented, clean, clear and beautiful photos. I shall be returning for another delicious bite. Thank you for sharing,
Cheers, Gaby
You can visit me at http://ptsaldari.posterous.com

Michelle Ann said...

Those tacos look amazing. Love the hair thing...I just couldn't do it. I would feel like I chopped off my arm.

The Blonde Duck said...

You're so cool--vegetable curries and donating your hair. I just did a story on a little girl for work who donated her hair to locks of love. Kudos to you!

snowelf said...

Alright, since your hair is now cut, Spring has no more excuses for not bringing it on! :)

Those veggies look delish!

--snow

buffalodick said...

Took me a year to grow a ponytail that I could tie back and still be able to blink... :)