Sunday, January 17, 2010

food and celebration

You know, I have not been a very diligent blogger as of late, and I'm not quite sure why. Today, though, as I post the similar foods that we make and eat most every week, I think about how lucky we are to have this and all the other comforts of home. We are thankful. To have each other, to our friends, to our parents, to our grandparents, to our country, to our leaders, past and present. The list goes on...

Thank you.


Roasted potatoes, onions, spinach and peppers (400 degrees for 40 or so minutes) with herbs and eggs over easy
...eggs over medium and freshly grated parmesan.
Sunday loaf of bread--this is the normal honey wheat
Tofu about to expire, so went ahead and baked two blocks of it. Slice, pat dry..
...lay on greased cookie sheet, drizzle a bit of soy if you are too lazy to prepare marinade ;)

425 degrees for approximately 40 minutes
Let cool, layer in tupperware with a bit of barbeque sauce for sandwiches.

(on fresh baked honey wheat, with a bit of goat cheese spread on the bottom and spring mix on top)
Prep granola for two weeks--2 cups rolled oats, almonds and pine nuts, honey, oil, a bit of ginger and cinnamon. Bake at 300 for 30 minutes, turning half way.
...add sesame seeds (pre-roasted) and dried fruit (cranberries, here) mix and let cool.

Clementines will round out breakfasts and lunches.

We're ready for the week! Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day--please consider volunteering tomorrow. Below, from MLKDay.gov:

"On January, 18, 2010, people of all ages and backgrounds will come together to improve lives, bridge social barriers, and move our nation closer to the “Beloved Community” that Dr. King envisioned. Dr. Martin Luther King devoted his life’s work to causes of equality and social justice. He taught that through nonviolence and service to one another, problems such as hunger and homelessness, prejudice and discrimination can be overcome. Dr. King’s teachings can continue to guide us in addressing our nation’s most pressing needs---poverty, economic insecurity, job loss and education.

Volunteer with Americans across the nation on the 2010 King Day of Service and make a real difference in your community."

7 comments:

Christo Gonzales said...

the eggs look great and you know how much I love eggs but its the granola that has me going - I am going to make some of this tomorrow since we are tired of eating plain oatmeal.

Jenn said...

Mmm baked tofu. I usually stir-fry it with some veggies.

buffalodick said...

I'm starting to appreciate potatoes more and more..

Marjie said...

The potatoes and eggs look great! One of my favorite breakfasts!

~~louise~~ said...

A perfect example of more is not always better. Thank you for sharing TavoLini:)

Potatoes & Eggs are one of my favorite things. (I like onion and eggs too; scrambled) However, your tofu instructions really got me going as I was just over @ Courtney's and eyed her Warm BBQ Crispy Tofu. I may just make them both!!! I almost put together a granola mixture yesterday because it was National Granola Bar Day. I'm so glad I didn't. Yours sounds just GREAT!!!

Enjoy your down time and thanks again...

Michelle Ann said...

Wow! That is some breakfast

pinknest said...

LOVE that first egg dish! And that's a lot o' tofu! I had some last night for dinner.